Thursday 12 May 2011

Handmade Lavender Heart

For Handmade Thursday this week I really wanted to show you my cushions I've been making at sewing class.  They're not quite ready yet though and I want to wait for the 'big reveal' (I'm of course assuming you're all waiting with baited breath!).

Instead, having been encouraged to make friends with my sewing machine (it hates me, I'm sure it does), I've made a little lavender filled hanging heart this week.



This has been made from an unusual cotton scarf I picked up in a charity shop for 99p.  I loved the bicycle print, and although it had a slightly dodgy looking stain on it I bought it anyway.  Sadly after much soaking, scrubbing and washing I have to concede the stain won't come out, so instead I plan to use it to make and cover things.




It's lends itself well to 'male' gifts much more than the floral stash I have, so I'm hoping I can hone my skills and make one for the old man's birthday and maybe cover a notebook for him too.  Appropriately he will be doing the London to Brighton bike ride on his birthday, so it will be perfect!

I used this tutorial which was an excellent beginners guide, and although it's not perfect I'm pretty pleased with it as a first attempt.  Anyway, there's loads more fabric left!



The blog guide I followed had loads of helpful tips - like making the point of the heart more curved for easier sewing, and snipping into the rounded edges so the hem lays flat.  Give it a go!

Nip over to White Lily Green's blog to see what others have been up to.

Inspire Me Beautiful

10 comments:

  1. What fab fabric!!! Very nice heart hun - I do adore the smell of lavender. May have to make something like this, myself.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is on my list to have ago at too. Great fabric! Can imagine Molly loving it too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were the first things we made at craft group, I was so proud of mine and DH made me hide it in the wardrobe as it smelt so strongly! I like the bicycle fabric a lot - looks good as a heart and can imagine it as a great notebook. (Does your OH not read your blog? - mine was supposed to be anon and now my MIL keeps telling people about it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments.

    Amanda - oh yes, but this pattern will be right up Molly's street!

    Lakota, they do smell strongly dont they. But good for keeping the moths away LOL.

    No - OH only reads the posts I show him ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's very cute LOVE the print on the fabric, i love recycle old fabrics they always seem to have more of a personality - if you see what i mean? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh very nice liz and that fabric is lovely would certainly make a lovely cover for a notebook or diary x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww love it (the bicycle print is ace). I am still at this stage with my sewing machine too. So far i have managed to shorten a pair of trousers and make a pin cushion. Am going to give it a go!!This lavender heart is perfect for gifts (shame I've just missed mother's day) but I like the idea of giving one to the mister!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Liz as you know. Really want to have a go at them myself :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such a cool bicycle print! Not sure I'd have known what to do with it though once I realised the mark wouldn't come out (clueless sadly - and sewing machines and I are not friends). Sewing class sounds like something I ought to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice I love making things like this as well

    ReplyDelete