Monday 16 May 2011

Magpie Monday - Button Love

My new-found sewing hobby has opened up a whole new avenue of shopping opportunities.  This week I was drooling in the haberdashery department in John Lewis looking for some buttons to go on the cushions I've been making.  I know I'm probably boring you now, but I was so totally, gobsmackingly staggered at the price of buttons, that I just keep muttering about it.

I wanted large buttons (think raincoat sized buttons), and the ones on offer in that 'never knowingly undersold' store were £5 EACH!!!  £5 for one button!!! Can you believe it?

Had they been carved from ancient elk horn or hand crafted by Tibetan Monks then maybe. But no, these were plain old plastic buttons - £5!!!

The good folk of Twitter came up with lost of useful tips on finding cheaper buttons and searching out vintage ones and I did find the exact ones I wanted on Ebay - £2.50 including postage for 6 buttons.

Lots of people suggested charity shops for sourcing, but after running one for years and volunteering in various others, we'd never had button boxes so I assumed others didn't either.  I've also never seen buttons for sale in charity shops.  But I asked at the counter and each time the assistant brought out a huge tin from out the back or under the desk.. There's something quite naughty about asking for things from under the counter (even if it is only buttons) and leaves me feeling quite special - like I'm in the inner circle or something!

I spent a really really happy hour in Save the Children chatting to the volunteer there, reminiscing about sorting my Nana's button box, while we happily sifted through piles and piles of treasure on the counter.  She told me all about her grandshildren and we generally had a good old natter.

Some gorgeous buttons took my eye, and I can away beaming after buying them for 10p each.

Some unusual bakelite square ones.


Some tiny, intricate metal ones with either embroidery or stones - one is marked on the back AP couture, Paris - imagine the garment that came from!



This perfect beauty with shell and filigree design



These cute little china heart shaped ones




Then of course, as is the way, I started spotting them everywhere.  I picked up two small bags full in another charity shop for 50p each




Then at a car boot sale yesterday I found the perfect tin for keeping my most special buttons in.  I intend to colour sort most of them and have them in jars, but the really special ones will be kept safe here


It's an old toffee tin and I'm fairly sure these are baby magpies. Well, that's what I'm telling myself anyway. How perfect is this, and I haggled too and got it for 50p.

So, what treasure have you found? I'd love you to grab the badge and link up, I can't wait to see. x



Me and My Shadow
Grab my button
and link to my blog



31 comments:

  1. oooh, we have a great big button box in the local charity shop that I use. I will search out some unusual ones the next time I go in there wil a few minutes to spare xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh buttons!! I've never collected buttons, just seem to lose them lol! adore that tin - how fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love buttons too! Gorgeous tin...I Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that tin and I remember when you could go thru tins of buttons at opshops and choose the ones you want all you get now are bottles filled with plain boring ones or cards with sewn on ones and its hard to find the vintage ones..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh buttons, buttons, how I love buttons. I love those gorgeous square ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am addicted to buttons and have a huge collection, bought some more at a vintage sale yesterday.

    Still keeping to your handbag rule I see! Lovely buttons and a gorgeous tin to put them in. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a fondness for buttons, my Granny had an old miniture chest of draws a copy for a joiner and it was full of all her buttons. We used to spend ages looking at them and threading them onto strings.
    I have button envy now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have fond memories of going through my late Mum's jars of buttons. Better than any toy, all exciting shapes and colours. Just shows that assertiveness pays when bargain-hunting and love the ideas of furtiveness regarding buttons. I like your heart ones best. I have linked up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure there is a woman alive who couldn't be a button appreciator - maybe just some who haven't realised it yet! They are definitely baby magpies - fab tin for some lovely new loveliness

    Lakota x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magpies and buttons, how very 'Magpie Monday'!
    I always add a few buttons to my haul at the best charity shop in town, the box is on the counter so I can't resist. It's the closest we'll get to having a treasure chest full of precious jewels to run our fingers through...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a huge stash of buttons too which grew from my nan's button box. I've been lucky enough to find bags of buttons in charity shops to add to my collection too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooooh buttons love em my mum still has her big tin of buttons i used to admire when i was little :) its funny your post is about buttons/sewing as i was on ebay yesterday looking for a sewing basket then had a thought that im sure my nan used to have one so my mums gonna ask her tomorrow if she still has it and if so can i have it ..... fingers crossed lol
    might have to nab my mums tin full of buttons aswell lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got some gorgeous buttons there Liz, and I LOVE the little bird tin *jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. what lovely buttons, love the filigree one especially :)

    I have had a small button collection for a while, for spares if one was lost but I recently acquired a whole box of vintage ones from freecyle which my daughter loves to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your square bakelite buttons are great! It seems I can only find plain plastic buttons. You're the lucky one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gorgeous cute little heart buttons. Love them. Madison

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow some great finds. You did well to find the Bakelite ones :) I think everyone must have a button box memory :) I've only recently discovered Magpie Monday but love it already. I just need to join in now! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucky button finds! Mrs W beat me to the buttons yesterday but our local charity shop has a massive tin of them I must rummage in soon! However I thin k the button box needs some sorting first!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My oh my, you are making me green with envy! I love buttons, but just can't seem to find any at charity shops in my area.
    My favourite of all of them is the filigree one! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a huge button fan- I have three tins with lots of memory buttons in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love a button and now have my mums tin, with buttons I remember playing with as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never thought to ask at the counter if there was a button opportunity. I really doubt it as our regular thrifts are not the helpful sort. There are 2 Lutheran school associated thrifts with friendlier volunteers. Hmmm.
    I've been known to buy clothing just for the buttons. I think the Magpie tim was made for you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh how lovely, takes me back to my childhood and my Mums button tin...it was always a treat looking through it, you know I'd completely forgotten about it to until I read your post.

    Thanks so much for sharing and bringing back such happy memories.

    Just think you will be creating memories for your little girl right now...I'm sure she'll remember your button tin with fond memories when she is all grown up with children of her own :))

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I am loving those buttons and the tin is just 'darling' (as they say!). Nice one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We need to compare button love/addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Late to the party! Lusting after the lovely buttons - I need more, all mums should have a button box.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I do apologise I am new to all this blogging. I seems to of put myself on twice. With last weeks post and this weeks , Sorry??

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ahh thanks for all your lovely comments and all the amazing link-ups. Just catching up on this evening's.

    Button tins = memories. Glad to have brought some smiles today x

    ReplyDelete
  29. the buttons are so lovely...too pretty to use! Thanks for hosting again

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was only sorting through my button tin yesterday - there's something therapeutic about buttons, I always think!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love buttons. I have a huge stash of vintage buttons. I never seem to use them as they are too nice!

    ReplyDelete