Monday 30 May 2011

Magpie Monday - Doing the Right Thing

This week I was very lucky with a find.

I spotted the perfume bottle standing on the table all forlorn.  More bits and pieces were being added to the table and I instantly sniffed 'fresh stock'.  I thought at first the glass perfume bottle was decorated with pewter - it was absolutely filthy and the metal was black.




But after picking it up, I thought it might just be silver.  The glass was very heavy and you could tell by looking at it it was good quality and fairly old.  The scratches on the base from years of use and the little etched number on the bottom of the glass made me think it probably wasn't one of those repro ones you pick up in hippy-crystal-and-incense shops.  The price ticket said £1.  So of course, I bought it.

Once we were home, I worked up a sweat with my silver polishing cloth, and sure enough a little while later I had one black cloth and one gleaming, shining silver perfume bottle.  I even uncovered the silver mark. I love it, it's so beautiful and will have pride of place on my dressing table.




However, I couldn't buy a silver perfume bottle for a quid! I couldn't sleep at night.  So I have since given them some more money.  Probably not as much as it's worth, but as much as I can afford right now.

Don't look at me like that.  Had I purchased this from some hapless boot stall holder, I would have slinked away and done the happy dance as soon as I was out of sight.  But I didn't buy it from a boot sale. I bought it from a charity shop.  Not just any charity shop, but a charity who are doing amazing things right now, and have a campaign I'm proud to support.  I bought my little bottle from my Save the Children shop.

If you've been about on Twitter or the bloggersphere recently, you must surely have heard of the #passiton campaign.  If you haven't heard about it, then in a nutshell Save the Children are lobbying World Leaders ahead of the summit on June 13th to fund vaccines for the world's poorest children and save 4 million lives.

Three bloggers, including the amazing Christine Mosler from Thinly Spread are heading out shortly to Mozambique where they will undertake the same journey as a vaccination along the 'cold trail' and see the conditions first hand.  Please help support them on this campaign 'No child Born to Die'




What can you do? Well, for a start you could spend less than a minute and sign the petition. I've signed it, I've badgered the old man to sign it and even Ruby has added her name to it.  Can you and your family do the same?

Click here to help save 4 million lives

If you're reading this blog post from your phone, then that is not an excuse my friend. No, no, no because you can sign the petition by text.

Simply text JAB to 84118.  Your text will be charged at your standard network rate. For terms and conditions please see http://savethechildren.org.uk/mobile

There are all sorts of amazing memes and tags going around blogland, but don't wait to be invited - jump in!  I've asked my brother and brother-in-law who are teachers if their schools can get involved. I've asked my other brother who is a fireman to see if his watch can all sign up.  I'm amazed by people's willingness to help - just ask and find out for yourself.

To somewhat mis-quote the amazing Ms Wendy James, they don't want your money honey, they want your love. x



I would be thrilled to bits if all of you who read and participate in Magpie Monday each week, could spare less than a minute to add your name to the petition.

Of course, I still want you to join the link up and share your treasure - and if you could pop a link to the petition on your post too so your readers can sign as well that would be fantastic x

Me and My Shadow
Grab my button
and link to my blog



25 comments:

  1. wow! what a beauty of a bottle, I have no fear at all about buying dirty items when I can spot the jem underneath. Well done you and well done on giving them some more money for it. I often donate to my favourite charity shop that I buy from ! sort of cancels each other out ! xx
    Like the link to the Save the Children post too xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful find, so pretty and ornate. You're just too right on with your conscience and everything, much like the tarnish on your pefume bottle it's rubbing off on me, I shall be texting the number asap. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chris! Get texting :0) x

    @missielizzieb

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful silver bottle and that was generous of you to go back and donate more money to the charity. I always donate any goods I have to a specific charity shop as I particularly like their ethos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an absolute stunner! Wow, really really gorgeous. What a find. Well done for donating a bit more.

    I think I've already seen this petition, but I will check. They do amazing work

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wow what a beauty! Isn't it wonderful to be able to find such treasures and bring them back to their former glory, It will look amazing sitting on your dressing table and I should imagine you will get a lot of pleasure out of admiring it on a daily basis.

    I always support my local charity shops and actually give far more than I get in return, but isn't that what charity is all about :)

    I have signed the Save The Children petition and did a post on it too, you can see that here: http://carolescharacters.blogspot.com/2011/05/save-children.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an incredible find, buy and a good heart like yours deserve it.
    I agree with what you did totally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful bottle. Well done.

    Madison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz, your talents at spotting the rose amongst the thorns never ceases to amaze me! Thanks for linking up my post and I have signed the petition xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous bottle and well done to you for donating a bit more for it ;)
    No finds from me this week as ive been ill in bed since last tuesday, also have to cut back on spending as have to save like mad for a holiday so might not join in as much for a couple of months but will always pop in mondays to see what treasures everyone else has found x
    @missdaisy32 x

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is a lovely perfume bottle, so beautiful and a very lucky find :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. stunning bottle! And yes I do think it's great you went back and gave the charity shop some more money. Thanks too for the chance to add my name to the petition! I did it by text! really simple costs you just 2 texts as the second one includes your personal details :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I think a charity shop is underselling something then I try to give them a bit extra too. You have a very good eye, I doubt I would have spotted that, it's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. very beautiful bottle and thanks for the link, I will check that out and include it in my post

    love~mongs
    http://mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful bottle! Will look lovely on your dressing table. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great find...you definitely have an eye for it! And a great mention on the #passiton campagin, I have signed the petition and also added a piece about it to my own MagpieMonday post :) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much Lins and everyone who has signed and added to their blogs.
    I'm sorry I can't comment on all blogs today, Blogger's playing silly buggers so if there's no 'anon' option, I'm stuffed!

    @missielizzieb

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm reporting back that I texted, I shall be going to heaven after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the perfume bottle. I shall have to look more carefully at dirty metal objects in the future.

    Have signed the petition too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful find, and a great cause too. I know what you mean about going back & donating more, it's only fair sometimes.

    Have also signed the petition, thanks for highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all for signing the petition. xx @missielizzieb

    ReplyDelete
  22. It feels good to do the right thing! Love the perfume bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Already mentioned the wonderful Save the Children campaign.
    You are sickening with that lovely bottle so I am very envious indeed. I applaud you in going back and giving more dosh for it too. How lovely of you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow...what a beautiful bottle! Lucky find! x

    ReplyDelete