Monday 16 January 2012

Magpie Monday - Bowled Over

Yes, it's Magpie Monday again!

If you're new round these parts, then welcome, welcome.  So, what's it all about then?  Magpie Monday is my weekly link-up party where you are all invited to share your second-hand purchases.  To show that you can give a new home or a new lease of life to something pre-loved.  To prove that we don't always have to buy brand new.  This way, we can save a few quid, and by recycling and reusing, do our bit for the planet too.

So grab a cuppa, put your feet up and have a slightly voyeuristic peep at the treasures people have been rescuing.

Most of the items I've shared with you recently have been 'raw materials' to get crafty with.  This week I couldn't resist the temptation of this bag of leather scraps I spotted in a charity shop.  It's full of nice, sizeable pieces of buttery tan coloured leather and I can't wait to get cracking with it.



Trouble is, I've never made anything from leather before.  I really fancy making some flowers for brooches, but there's a bit more googling to do yet I think.


It was a bit of a quiet week shopping wise.  I intended to check out my local car boot sale yesterday but as it was 10am by the time I finally surfaced I well and truly missed that boat.

I did manage to get my hands on this lovely wooden bowl though, and I'm over the moon with it.  It was in the window of a charity shop and I couldn't quite make out the price sticker.  I thought it said £12.50 so when I went in and enquired and was told £2.50 I was delighted.


It's very rustic, a bit wonky but full of character.  It's also HUGE, and sits proudly now on our dining table filled with apples.  The added bonus being that Ruby can reach this bowl (unlike the fruit bowl in the kitchen) and it fills my heart to see her helping herself and munching away on apples.

What have you been rescuing this week? Grab the badge and link up. x

Me and My Shadow
Grab my button
and link to my blog





18 comments:

  1. Lovely bowl - I always have soft spot for wooden things

    I've linked up my 'vintage threads' post this week, rather than recent finds.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm sure there are so many things you can do with those leather bits, they seem quite large. Get thee to pininterest ;)

    Lovely bowl too, love wooden bowls...looks all the more lovely for being wonky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh whats happened to the links Liz ? can't see them anymore. I like to pop over and visit the others who have linked up to MagpieMonday.

    Love the big bowl. Its a great idea to have fruit out for them to munch on. We have one on the side in the kitchen, my boys are always munching on the fruit. They know they can take as many pieces of fruit as they like as long as they eat it.
    Can't wait to see what you do with the leather. I am still hoping to find the time to get crafting with a jumper ! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Karen - not sure what happened. Could you re-submit for me? x

      And Yay for the jumper! x

      Delete
  4. Think thats worked now...YAY, I may have broken it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just re-submitted mine and it seems to have worked. Let me know if it vanishes again!

      Delete
  5. Love the bowl, definitely an incentive to buy lovely fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely bowl - I used to have a very similar one, and now I'm wondering whatever happened to it? A trip to the loft may be in order, methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the wooden bowl a great bargain and can't wait to see what you create with the leather x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous bowl, very arts and crafts. And a bargain too! I'm sure I saw some fabulous project somewhere involving leather, but it escapes me at the moment. Maybe it was on pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have bought the leather scraps too - there are some leather notebook covers in the Martha Stewart book I'd like to try making! Love your bowl too, and the apples :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the wooden bowl - I have a small but growing collection of turned wooden items, and my elder daughter added to it , by giving me a bowl she had bought at a flea market between Christmas and New Year. Can't wait to see what you make with the leather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am also liking that bowl ! I just have a glass 1950s fruit bowl that the kids like to watch fruit go mouldy in, little grebs !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the wood grain on the bowl...beautiful and useful!!!
    Thanks for hosting the party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love a good wooden serving bowl! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that bowl, and what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a bit of leather...I've said too much. x

    ReplyDelete