Monday 27 February 2012

Magpie Monday - Let there be light

This week's find is unusual for me in that it's electrical.  Sadly not all charity shops sell electrical goods for fear of litigation, and not all of them have a qualified PAT tester available.  If you're donating electrical goods, please check first that the shop is able to sell them otherwise you might find that they end up chucked anyway.

I spotted this pair of chrome lights way up high on a shelf, and really liked the Atomic style of them.



They're not designer, only from a DIY store, but I think they're kinda cool.  They were only £4.99 for the pair, so that's about a quarter of their new price and it's saved them from landfill, and saved the manufacture of new ones.  I needed a pair of bedside lights anyway.  Previously we only had one on my side, so now this negates me of my responsibility as light-turner-offer - most annoying when you've just got all comfy!



So what second-hand items have you rescued this week?  Grab the badge and join the party.

Me and My Shadow
Grab my button
and link to my blog



19 comments:

  1. They're kinda cute ... yes, I like them! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh I like those. Love the shape and like you say its a shame more charity shops don't accept electrical goods. A lot of perfectly good items get thrown away causing landfill when they could be sold on : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. They remind me of old car headlamps, the ones that kind of stuck out from the car with a chrome hood, lovely. We have an angle poise style lamp in the middle to negate the 'you turn out the light issue' but I still make my OH do it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them too, they remind me of the hairdressers when I was little.

    ***Faith Hope and Charity Shopping first blogivesary giveaway open now***

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! And they look lovely against the blue background.

    As you say, it's a shame that people don't always check whether charity shops will take electrical items before donating them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, yep they are definitely amazing, give them a bit of a bash and you can call them industrial vintage- my favourite theme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so retro, love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is not often you find charity shops who will sell electrical goods. I suppose they have to be over-careful in this day and age. These are a good find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like them too! There was only one charity shop near me that sold electricals and when I went in this morning they've stopped selling them too.Such a shame that items that are still usable will probably end up in landfill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of the thrift stores in my area, Arkansas, USA, sell electrical items. Some have an "as is" policy and will state on the tag that the item has been tested and works. Others have a return policy. The buyer can try the item out at home, and if it doesn't work they can get a refund.
    I love you new lamps. The do have a very space age, retro look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like those lights! They are really cute.. kinda feel 1930s somehow... x

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look properly retro - good find. We only have one bedside lamp too so I know you feel/felt!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have never seen any like these. I like them and they look different to the standard bed side lamps

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't actually seen lamps like these before, they are lovely!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your atomic finds!!! Thanks for encouraging us to repurpose our vintage finds!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think they are really aliens, maybe Eva and Eve? But so cute!
    I got a $15 stainless steel microwave last week - the op shop sells electrical with a warning, but has stopped selling soft toys. Can't say it's the lawyers fault, because I am married to one - insurance companies?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We didnt find much this week, but bought plenty of spring flowers!
    Aqeela x

    ReplyDelete