Saturday 11 February 2012

Wear your heart on your T-shirt



For Valentine's this year I've made a T-shirt for Ruby to wear.  It was very simple, and kids could do their own, but we'd done a lot of painting that day and frankly she'd had enough and got bored!


You'll need:

a plain TShirt (clean and ironed)
a heart shaped paper doily (you can get these in Poundland)
Dylon fabric paint (I used Deep Pink)
a sponge
low tack tape such as masking tape
buttons to embellish (optional)


Place a protective layer of cardboard or plastic inside the t-shirt to prevent the paint seeping through to the back.  Lay your garment our flat and position the doily where you want it, gently taping around the edges to hold in place.


Apply the fabric paint with the sponge to the doily stencil.  Don't use too much or it will saturate the paper and tear it.  Work all around the stencil, removing the tape as you go - remove the tape before you get paint on it, otherwise it will rip.



Once you've covered the whole area, carefully peel off the doily and leave to dry for a few hours.  Use a hot iron to seal the image and make it washable - place a clean cloth over the top and iron for a couple of minutes on high heat.



Embellish with buttons and wear with love!




Happy Valentine's Day x

Photobucket

Inspire Me Beautiful

21 comments:

  1. Fab idea and such a pretty top for a prety girl x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these doiley tees... I am yet to try it - you make it look so easy... so I am guessing I MUST HAVE A GO!!!!

    Love the addition of buttons!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must! Nice and simple to do, I think Ruby would have loved it if she hadn't wandered off! Still, she's happy to wear it :0)

      Delete
  4. Excellent! She looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw this on Pinterest and is on my LONG list of things to do, looks adorable and makes me want to do this all the more, great touch adding the buttons though. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! If I had a little girl she would totally be rocking this shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really amazing! I love it! What a simple yet effective idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I A-D-O-R-E this! I want to make one for myself. Hope you had a lovely day and thanks so much for linking up! I have pinned this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous idea!It looks so pretty and much nicer than some of the T-shirt you can buy on the highstreet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great way to add a little extra to a t-shirt, better not let my daughter see this, she loves pink,buttons and hearts, she'd have us putting them on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic! I have pinned this, I'll try to do it some day

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a beautiful idea! LOVE IT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really cute! you are doily fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is gorgeous, I think I shall defo give this a go x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love this idea. I've gotta do this for our shirts. Now to come up with some cool boy shirts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You'll also need t-shirt transfer paper. You can buy this specialty paper at places like Office Depot, Staples, Office Max, craft stores like Michael's and Wal-Mart. If you are using an inkjet printer make sure you get paper suited for an inkjet printer and likewise if you have a laser printer. black t shirts

    ReplyDelete