Monday 30 April 2012

Gold Medal Cookies - Olympic Celebrations

The craft-tastic Maggy over at Red Ted Art asked us to get out thinking caps on for some Olympic inspired crafts, so I've come up with these medal cookies.

They'd be great for a celebration tea party, perhaps you could make one for the 'World's No 1 Dad' for Father's Day, or just to mark an achievement or milestone.


As well as your basic gingerbread (or other cookie) recipe, you will need:

A round cutter
A straw
Some ribbon
Decorations - we used Silver Spoon orange chocolate buttons and Dr Oetker Soft Gold Pearls

1. Make your cookie recipe and cut out circles.  We also used a smaller cutter to make a mark inside which helps with decorating later.  Punch a hole through with your straw to thread your ribbon through later.


2. Once your cookies have baked and cooled you can begin decorating.  I found the simplest way was to put my orange drops into a paper piping bag, stand it upright in a cup and then melt in the microwave.


Snip off the end of your bag and begin writing - Tip: it helps if you don't have a shaky-hand-hangover for this part!

3. Place dots at intervals around the edge and stick on your gold pearls.


4. Once your decorations have set, thread through your ribbon and present to your winners.  National Anthems and podiums are optional.



Going for Gold...
Gone!



Check out the awesome collection of Olympic crafts on Red Ted Art's round-up.


 

22 comments:

  1. Yum yum....Great for Olympic parties too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Maggy - they were! I'm a little bit in love with the orange chocolate drops!

      Delete
  3. These are GENIUS, my boys will love them. We were lucky enough to get tickets (basketball) so I'll have to try and make some to take with us (although I bet we're frisked of treats brought from home and have to pay an arm and a leg for 'official' food and merchandise)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! They look amazing. Will have to attempt some x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can see there being a lot of 'reasons' for gold medals being thought of in this house no!

      Delete
  5. these are perfect for my small boys first birthday party! Ollie's Olympics! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snap on the gold medal cookies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're fab and going to give them a go for my sons party. Any tips on where to get the ribbon as I can't find any thin enough. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment - glad you like them!

      I got my ribbon from a local haberdashery store -you could try eBay perhaps?

      Delete
  8. beautiful cookies! Great how you managed to get them so lovely,

    Thnaks for particpating @ Kids Bloggers Go OLympics,

    love,
    Angelique

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but great topic.
    I must spend a while studying more or understanding
    more. Thanks for excellent information I was searching for this information for my mission.


    My blog ... email marketing templates free

    ReplyDelete