Monday 21 May 2012

Pom pom wreath

I just can't help myself with this Jubilee Jamboree that's sweeping the nation.  I thought my house needed decorating, so without further ado, I give you... the pompom wreath (in red; white and blue of course)


I know it's not quite the right blue, but I didn't have any in my wool stash (shock, horror) so I had to buy some.  The savvy shopkeepers have inflated the prices of everything royal blue so I ended up getting navy.  I ask you, I mean, I know it's all about supply and demand, but ripping me off on wool is out of order!

So, you'll need:

Wool of different colours
Scrap card (cereal box type is fine)
Scissors
A hooped embroidery frame (you could use wire, but the hoop is guaranteed to give you a perfect circle!)
Ribbon to finish


I'm sure I don't need to teach you how to make pompoms, any more than I need to teach my grandmother to suck eggs.  But it's very simple, just make a pair of cardboard doughnuts and wrap with wool.  Check Youtube if you're not sure...

Before you snip through your wool and remove the card, thread them onto your hoop.  It will make life so much easier than trying to thread a completed pompom on.


I used varying sizes of pompoms - partly because I thought it would look more interesting and partly because I could never remember which cup I'd drawn around...

When you've made and threaded enough doughnuts, snip them open, tie them securely around the middle and fan out to fill your ring.

Add some ribbon for more flourish and hang on your door.  Simples.


Linking up with Ta-Dah! Tuesday

22 comments:

  1. Very cool! I was sitting thinking about pompoms yesterday and trying to remember how to make them! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now threading them on FIRST - that's crafty! And the stuff that's being sold just with the word 'jubilee' tacked on...well, that's an upcoming post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Threading them on first was an inspired moment of genius (I was over-due one) x

      Delete
  3. oh love, love, love, love, LOVE!!! So easy to make too. Now thinking sparkly red, white and green for Christmas door wreath...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to make one for ages for my daughter's bedroom door in candy colours, but couldn't figure out how to thread them!

      A Christmas one would be fab.

      I suspect the whole house will be full of them now I've sussed it! x

      Delete
    2. Using the embroidery hoop and threading them all in place before opening out the pompoms is inspired!

      Delete
  4. That is fab! I haven't made pom poms for years, must get my son making them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, great idea. I'm all for a bit of child labour ;0)

      Delete
  5. Oooh I haven't made pom pom's for such a long time. We used to make little easter chicks out of them :) Really love this, might have to give them a go with the kids and most certainly this would make a great Christmas wreath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, shame my little one is too small to handle this, but older kids would love it!

      I'll be making a Christmas one too...and probably a Halloween one and anything else I can find to celebrate!

      Delete
  6. Great tip on the threading-before-snipping. How cute is this wreath though??? You are a goddess!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *takes a bow* praise indeed coming from you xx

      Delete
  7. Oh this is so lovely, hurrah to the Pom Pom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. cool wreath, pom poms do indeed rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pomtastic! You know how much I love a Pom Pom and this is inspired! We will be making one, obviously! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks lovely. Bet you're gonna cheat though with your new-fangled thingamy wotsit ;0)

      Delete