Thursday 28 June 2012

Spuds you'll love!



Ever since I was invited to an event recently by the British Potato Council, I haven't been able to get the Potato City episode of Peppa Pig out of my head.  Would it be like that?  Would there be spud-themed fair rides?  Would Mr Potato himself be there?

Well, frankly no.  The PR people opted for the far more sensible option of getting celebrity chef and Mr Twinkle-Toes himself James Martin on board to give the spud more love!

Joining in enthusiastically with National Hug a Chef Week



Hurrah.

Why hurrah?  Well let me explain.  If, like me you've ever been disappointed by rock solid roasties, or lumpy waxy mash or mushy pulpy potatoes in the bottom of your hotpot, then chances are this is down to poor potato choice rather than questionable cooking skills. (Yes, I am indeed a bad workman blaming his tools).

Getting to know you...getting to know all about you...


There was a Food Psychologist on hand (I'm not making this up) and James cooked up some samples for us to test.  It's quite staggering how different two types of potatoes can taste, even when cooked in exactly the same method, and it perfectly demonstrated the theory.

He's wearing his Strictly legwarmers behind that counter - honest.


James them got down to some proper cooking, and prepared us such delicious dishes as Potato, Pea, Watercress served with a poached egg - he also gave me a lesson on making the perfect poached egg.



We tucked into Apple Mash with Pork and Walnuts - adding grated raw Bramley apple to the mash was a revelation.  We learnt that the secret to perfectly comforting mash was a potato ricer and a heart-stopping amount of butter and cream.


Finally Chilli Salmon with Potato and pickled cucumber.



They were all absolutely amazing and I'll be trying them out at home.

The Many Faces Of Potatoes - and it seems I am one of them.


So, maybe not Potato City, but I had a fabulous day meeting James Martin, sampling the mouth-watering dishes and catching up with my good friend Lins from Daisy Chain Baby - an unexpected pleasure.

Disclosure:  All views expressed are my own.  I attended the event described above but have not received any financial reward for this post.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fabulous fun day. Nice pic of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison, it really was a great day and I learnt a lot. x

      Delete
  2. Fantastic post! I am here for the first time and I love it as much as I love anything potatoes! I am your new follower... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marina. You are very welcome to my humble blog. Pull up a chair and grab a cuppa.

      Thanks for being my 700th follower x

      Delete