Tuesday 29 January 2013

Exploring different fantasy figures

It can be really easy to fall into a pattern of doing the same things every day, especially during the colder months.

During the summer there seems to be so much more to do with your time and if you’re not careful during the winter fun activities can fall by the wayside and you could end up watching yet another cartoon on Cbeebies!

A great way to get out of the winter rut can be to do something new. After Christmas you don’t want to be going out and spending a huge amount of money on craft supplies. Polarn O. Pyret – a fun kids clothes brand, recently shared this PDF, containing a few spring activities for kids, which made me look at my recycling bin in a new way.


The idea is that you gather together your spare boxes, fabric and anything that is destined for the bin and make a character out of it.

You could make a robot with foil and bottle top buttons, a princess out of a kitchen roll and some fabric scraps, or even an animal with an egg box. The idea is that you make something new. You can even get your child to design their own character and try to recreate it.

What I loved about this idea is that it doesn’t cost any money, and was a great way of learning while having fun.

You can talk about shapes, colours, bigger/smaller; all types of vocabulary can be expanded and can give your child a chance to let their imagination run wild!

What would your child make?

Disclosure: Guest post brought to you by Polarn O Pyret.  For full details please see my disclosure policy.

7 comments:

  1. I'm always raiding our recycling bin! In fact, we just finished making Cranky the Crane out of cereal boxes yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky The Crane?!! Wow, have you blogged it? I'd love to see a picture, my daughter would be very impressed, she loves Thomas the Tank x

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant idea, you're very right, I feel as though I'm waiting for the sunshine to start doing fun stuff again. I always mean to have a little box for bits and bobs, I am now thoroughly inspired, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cas. Check out our junk modelling bag I made from an old pillowcase. It's perfect for keeping bits in for these sorts of projects http://missielizzie-meandmyshadow.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/pillowcase-upcycle-junk-modelling-sack.html x

      Delete
  3. Oooh nice idea and I love POP clothes, Miss L just reviewed a dress from them, really funky, unisex and well made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas for play here for school and the clothes look lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never do any of these creative things with Amy because I always think she's too young, but I guess I could just let her lose with whatever we find. It's all about letting their imagination running wild after all x

    ReplyDelete