Monday 25 February 2013

Magpie Monday - Looking Glass

Morning lovelies.  I hope you all had fun playing over at Lucy's last week, I need to grab a coffee and sit down to read all the link ups.

I'm back from my holiday all refreshed and raring to go (she says through gritted teeth and piles of laundry).

This morning's find for your viewing pleasure is this art deco beveled over mantle mirror.

Apologies for the photo, but it is languishing, unhung waiting for it's playmates.



There was a small chip to the corner so I was able to grab it for less than a tenner.  Luckily the people in the charity shop had saved the chip and sellotaped it on, so I was able to glue it back in place and it's barely noticeable.

I is a proper hanging mirror unlike lots I seem to see which are converted dressing table mirrors - not that that bothers me.

I have a beveled circular one and a rectangular one already, so this angular shaped on will make a lovely addition to my collection.

This has been a long-term plan.  To collect up old mirrors and display them grouped together on a wall.

The trouble is, where to hang them?  I'm not one for excessive housework and polishing, so they need to be away from grubby hands.  My wide shouldered clumsy man has pretty much ruled out hanging them up the staircase and I suspect in the bathroom they'd get constantly splashed from the shower.

At the moment the favourite location seems to be at the top of the stairs, opposite the stair banister so they can be seen from the landing, but am I asking for 35 years bad luck if they all come tumbling down?

I need a few more before my plan is complete, I fear I shall be heading to Baycrazy sometime soon...

What glorious second-hand finds have you rescued lately?

Grab the badge and link up.

  Me and My Shadow



19 comments:

  1. Ooh lovely mirror! I like these frameless vintage ones but they aren't half heavy! Good luck hanging them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I had to carry it to the car, it weighs a ton!

      Delete
  2. I love old mirrors, we had to use really sturdy fixings to hang ours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super-dooper rawl plugs and extra long screws I think!

      Delete
  3. I love old mirrors, we had to use really sturdy fixings to hang ours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had about 10 of these old mirrors on my walls at the old house. But then I fancied a change and something a bit different so I sold them all to someone who was going to group them together on a wall for her wedding day celebrations!
    I bought a 1930s sewing machine and Emma Bridgewater mug and have linked up today,
    Aqeela xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely idea for a wedding.

      I'm heading over to check yours out now x

      Delete
  5. Great idea grouping different shaped old mirrors together - top of the stairs sounds like a good place. I like mirrors nice and high..just above my eye level :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh I LOVE mirror collections - and that's a beauty! What a bargain too, great find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh lovely mirror, Im on the look out for a lovely beveled mirror for my bathroom
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous mirror! I found one this week too (in fact I found several but most of them were sadly beyond redemption...) Love the idea of several grouped together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, I used to have a similar one but the glass was all warped and weird when you looked in it - I didn't realised when I bought it! I've finally linked up again, haven't been looking for too much stuff as we're going to be moving (really happening this time, honest!) soon.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, linked up a post about one of my fav charity shops. Hope that's ok.

    I was going to do the very same thing with a load of mirrors I had up my staircase but thought better of it with all the boys running up and down all the time.

    I don't need no more bad luck xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the shape of that mirror! Very unique. I'm always super nervous about hanging heavy mirrors, too, so I usually just don't get around to doing it at all, and now I have nowhere in my apartment where I can see my whole outfit at once, and it's driving me insane.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, you lot are all experts at this! I'm a novice magpie, will read and learn! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this mirror looks seriously classy!

    I'm banned from buying big stuff at the moment cos we're trying to move house, but I've linked up with some cookbooks I found recently.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it. I have one mirror, but they are so heavy, I am not sure where it will hang in our cardboard house!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love old bevelled mirrors. They are so charming. I have a little collection of my own and I can't wait to get them up on the wall.

    ReplyDelete