Monday 29 April 2013

Magpie Monday - Homemade Wine

I've recently decided to try my hand at wine-making.  It's been something I've wanted to do for ages, and I figured it would compliment my foraging habit quite well too.

I decided to invest in a proper starter kit to see if I got the hang of it, the theory being once I'd mastered a reliable kit, then I could move on to err... slightly more experimental versions.

My Pinot Grigio has been bubbling away for some weeks now and last week it was finally time to bottle it up.



I'd asked friends and family to keep hold of used wine bottles for me, so that bit of recycling saved me some more pounds as I didn't need to buy glass bottles.

Starting a new hobby can be really expensive, but the starter kit worked out to be good value, and even taking the start-up cost of all the equipment into account, this first batch of wine has worked out at around £2.50 per bottle - less than half the price of shop bought wine.

I've been lucky and have managed to supplement the kit with charity shop finds too.  I've picked up a couple of glass demi-johns for £1 each which will be perfect for the more wacky wines - I don't want to risk making 30 bottles of something if it turns out rank, so this way I can do smaller, 6 bottle batches.


They need a good scrub out, but since they usually cost around £6-7 each, I'm happy to do a bit of washing.

In another charity shop I found a whole bag full of wine making bits for £3.  I wasn't entirely sure what was inside as the bag was sealed up, but I could see there was a corking machine and those alone cost anywhere from £15 upwards, so I bought it.  Inside was all manner of things - corks; shrink sealers; push-in bottle caps; bungs and airlocks, so I think I struck lucky with this lot.



And finally, this book which has been kicking about my bookshelf for some time and inspired the whole thing.  It cost me the princely sum of £1.69 and has such delights as dandelion wine; parsnip wine and beetroot wine...yu-um!  Dandelion is next on the list, so check back to see how that works out!



So, what have you managed to get hold of second-hand?  Have you ever got something that's inspired or helped with a new hobby?

Grab the badge and link up.


Me and My Shadow



16 comments:

  1. You did do really well with all that thrifted kit, I'm really tempted to have a go myself, how did it taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried yet (I know, I know, REMARKABLE self-restraint!) Apparently it's 'drinkable' now, but better after a month or so...

      I'd previously been really put off by the 'science-bit' but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Come round and try some. I can almost guarantee that I won't make you blind. x

      Delete
  2. Well that looks like my kind of hobby! I've even got a couple of demi-johns lurking about that we rescued from the tip. Have you tried Elderflower (or is it Elderberry for wine?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried elderflower 'champagne' last year but I think my bottle sterlisation wasn't up to scratch!

      Elderberry cordial is immense so i'm planning a fruity little red - elderberry and blackberry! Get me ;0)

      Delete
  3. The rate I drink Pinot Grigio I need to follow in your footsteps! Really great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you got some good bargains, we have made our own wine for quite a few years now mostly from free foraged fruit. All our equipment was from freecycle originally, so we were quite lucky too.
    My husband makes the most fantastic tasting wines, elderflower makes a wonderfully light summer picnic wine. My all time favourite is the blackberry wine, it really is worth every scratch from the brambles and the cherry plum wine comes a close second.
    good luck with your dandelion wine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am impressed - do let us know what the wine tastes like, Lizzie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents made wine as a kid.In fact I had my first taste of home made wine when I was 7.It was a delicious elderberry one.I haven't linked up for ages, I'll write up a post in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of making foraged wine or wine from veg - dandelion sounds interesting, beetroot too, and quite tempted by description of the blackberry one above! My dad used to make wine - do remember the bathroom looking like a distillery! I'll have to see if he's any of the kit left :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hic! I have always fancied doing this so may end up copying you. Strange how if you have something in your mind, fate delivers it up in the charity shop so often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great prices on the necessary bits and pieces. It's a pity I don't drink - there are loads of elderberry trees at the bottom of my allotment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome! I'd love to try my hand at making wine sometime. Curious to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to start up anew hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mum used to make wine all the time, the demi-johns lived in my bedroom cupboard, many nights spent listening to wine bubbling with the odd occasional explosion ;) Always great when you find something useful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun way to start a new hobby! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great find. Would love to know how it turns out :) Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete