Wednesday 22 May 2013

Sailing down the river - lolly stick boats

The challenge for this week's craft hangout with Red Ted Art was lolly sticks (or wooden coffee stirrers if, like me, you have kleptomaniacal tendencies when in local coffee shops).

Some fabulous ideas shared again, check out the video and links below.

I wanted to make something we could take outdoors and play with, to extend the activity further.  I tried a kite but it was a disaster (combination of size of kite; lack of wind and distinct lack of high hills round here).

So then I struck on the idea of making little boats that we could take to the river and race.

They are super-easy to make.  For speed I used a glue gun, but if the kids are involved and you have a little patience, PVA glue will work fine.


You can come up with all manner of designs with the humble lolly stick and for older children it's good to experiment on what designs and size works well, what floats best and what sails fastest.

Kids can personalise their sails with drawings or stickers or you can use decorative paper, tissue paper or even re-use old plastic bags.

Then take them to the river and...on your marks...get set...GO!


This activity brought out rather a lot of competitiveness (particularly from Daddy it has to be said), but rather like a jockey-less horse, my view is a capsized boat isn't the winner - even if it does come first.

We had some rather persistent interference from a local swan too, so next time we'll take bread to throw him off the scent.

We had such a great time sailing our boats and it's definitely something we'll do again.  Just as soon as I've purloined more sticks.

**Think safety first near water***




Click on the links to see instructions for all these craft stick ideas:

Beautiful bi-planes by Kids Chaos
Red Ted Art's Traffic light biscuit pops and superhero puppets
Craftulate's Craft Stick Magnets
Plus 2 Point 4's snowflakes
Easel photo holders by Zing Zing Tree

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

23 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, what fun! Great for half term.... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali! Yes, we'll be making more - I might even pack my glue gun when we go on holiday to Wales, it's a great way to entertain the kids for free :0)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a lot of fun, even though the race outcome is still *cough* in dispute! We need a re-match.

      Delete
  3. Wow, they are amazing :-) You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really cute and a great excuse to eat a few lollies first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is just brilliant - i think i have some non coffee stirrers in a kitchen drawer which would be great for this activity. i will pin this. of course as Fiona says we could always eat some lollies first lol x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to bring home my coffee stirrers now instead of throwing them in the bin.I love the inquisitive swan photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do (or grab a whole handful like I do!). That swan just wouldn't leave us alone, he was funny.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea - my boys would love this, and it would definitely turn into a competition! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think where there's boys involved, then definitely! x

      Delete
  8. Ooh these look great, I think we might be making these this week!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab idea! I need to get my creative hat on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea, especially with all the rain we're having. I'm off to eat some lollies and find some puddles :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb! The cute baby with dad! I love sailing. Sailing is a completely new sport for me and I wasn't sure what to expect but I've definitely got the bug. thanks~ Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look brilliant, will have to give these a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are such a good idea - and we have loads of sticks at the moment. Intending to go out to the brook Friday so these would be perfect to take with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how exciting. Your photographs are fab, cant believe you got so close to the action. Love it when they tip up like that. Corporate Outing

    ReplyDelete