Monday 30 September 2013

Magpie Monday - Back to school

Sometimes a great find for me in a secondhand shop is not something spectacular or beautiful.  Sometimes it's just something that's so appropriate and useful at that moment in time, it's like the charity shop gods have placed it there just for me to stumble upon.

This week I went into school along with all the other Year 1 and 2 parents for a session on phonics.  Teaching us how best to support our children's learning at home, there was much talk of blending, phonmes and split digraphs - most of which went over my head I have to admit.

Ruby has an insatiable appetite for books and stories, and yet the reading books she comes home with are not sparking her imagination.  I can't say I blame her, I mean there's not much of a plot line!  The cut-out paper sounds cards are also pretty dull looking and it's a struggle to get her to sit down and look at them after school.

So, on Saturday, after I'd deposited her at a birthday party in town I was killing an hour by mooching around the charity shops and spotted this set of flash cards for 99p.

Consonant sounds flash cards phonics

They are perfect for building on her sounds group work and I plan to build them into her after-school routine to help her learn more word sounds.

So, if there are any teachers reading this that can suggest any interesting ways of using them, I'd love to hear.

Have you found any brilliant pre-loved items lately?  I'd love you to grab the badge and link up.



13 comments:

  1. Zakareeya is four and he loves doing these cards, we bought ours on holiday in a charity shop by the seaside for about 99p i think.
    Aqeela xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen them before, just the old flash cards with words on, they are a great idea!

      Delete
  2. Soon your wee one will be reading and have happy memories of spending time with her mom learning her sounds and blends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be great if you had two sets and could play Memory. Any way you use them will be perfect, I am sure. Children learn so fast! Keep reading aloud to your little "shadow." Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so cute! I have no idea how you play/learn with them... but I'm amused just trying to pronounce those combinations of consonants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a go with them tonight after school and they are pairs, so lots of games to play. But she loved just reading them and making the sounds - result!

      Delete
  5. Ah it's great when that happens. The charity shop gods smiled on me last week when E had just grown out of his shoes and I found the perfect pair in his size the same day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when I find something educational for the kids in the charity shop. Great find x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be really helpful for us right now and when we're done with them I can give them to the school or donate them back again :0)

      Delete
  7. The illustrations on the cards are beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete