Monday 23 September 2013

Magpie Monday - The Kitsch Collection

Time was when Ruby was very happy to trundle around charity shops and car boots with me, gladly settling herself down in the toy section to have a little play while I browsed.

She's still happy to come second-hand shopping, however she's no longer satisfied by the toys on offer.  Perhaps she's growing up.  Maybe she's picked up too many of my habits, but now she'd much rather scan the bric-a-brac shelves with me.

I used to let her spend a small amount on a toy or book if it took her fancy, but lately she's been picking up ornaments off the shelf and asking if she could have one instead.  I started by refusing, thinking that they weren't suitable for small children (ok, ok I admit I vetoed some as they were just horrendous), but she kept on an on about wanting to start a collection - where on earth did she get that from I wonder?

Anyway, after explaining that a 'collection' by virtue had to be a group of similar things, she soon developed a pattern of picking up gaudy, kitsch porcelain ornaments, the kind that are classily back stamped 'Foriegn'. The sort of thing my mum would refer to as 'Early Thurston' - the tat they used to give away at the fun fair.

After much badgering, I gave in and over the course of a few months, she now sports a collection of the finest kitsch on her bedside table.  Be afraid.








She's settled on poodles and deer, and at least this does limit her purchases and target her buying.  And actually, it's been kind of good for her - it's taught her that ornaments are not playthings like toys and they need to be treated carefully.  Admittedly, their hardly priceless heirlooms, and only cost a few pence, but she's learning to respect items much more than she would with a crappy plastic toy.

What do you think?  Should I be disturbed by this new collection or encourage and nurture it?  Will we be over-run with cavorting deer or do you think she'll keep it in check?  What was your first collection?

If you've found anything second-hand lately I'd love you to grab the badge and link up.




14 comments:

  1. I love these to bits - just my bag! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing!! It really made me giggle, because whilst (and no offence intended here) they are pretty horrendous, there is something quite charmingly endearing about this. I would say go with it - like you say, far better to teach the value of something. I collected rubbers (ahem!) when I was growing up, which meant that every outing involved me hunting down more. I ended up with about 700. One summer I came back from uni to discover they'd melted into a giant rubbery mess and that was that. I'd probably still be collecting today if they'd survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Lins, you should have seen the ones I vetoed! They have...erm... a very particular style and she loves them so I guess I should encourage it.

      My best friend when I was a kid collected rubbers, I remember all the scented ones!

      Delete
  3. She has great taste! Seriously! Retro is so cool. Mine likes modern plastic crap. I'd be thrilled with a child like yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I much prefer them to plastic tat. I can't say they're exactly my taste, but the world would be boring if we were all the same. x

      Delete
  4. Oh bless her. My girls would love everything she's chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, loving those poodles! A "collection" is a dangerous thing though, soon Ruby will have family and friends sending her deer & sad looking dogs at every opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually like your daughter's choice. My son used to follow along with me to thrift shops in The Netherlands. He had the most wonderful miniature glass bottle collection, and he collected miniature playing cards. He also acquired an almost complete set of the Dutch Suske and Wiske comics. His collections are in big boxes just waiting for his 30th birthday in December.;) Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's awesome that she has her own style! I probably would have loved those when I was a little girl, especially the hilarious girl with the poodles. It's good she has some strict parameters, because you don't want her collection to get out of control!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha.. is it wrong to say..that I love them! I had a similar collection as a child! All long gone now sadly (or not so!). It's fabulous! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the first ones. So cute! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Retrotastic! I think she has taste, I've seen much worse collected by adults.

    ReplyDelete