Tuesday 3 December 2013

How green is my Christmas Tree?


Which is greener?  Real versus Fake Christmas Trees

The argument about which is more environmentally friendly - an artificial Vs a real Christmas Tree rages on each year.  Some argue that because a fake tree is re-used year after year, that it's better for the environment, while others believe the chemicals and air miles to produce them and ship them to stores means they are not green.

I have to admit, we have both - a small coloured fake tree in my daughter's room which she helps to decorate, and which I picked up a couple of years back in a charity shop, and a big real tree in the living room.

Personally, I believe that real trees are more eco friendly.  In reality, artificial trees are used on average for between 6 and 9 years before they end up in landfill where they fail to biodegrade.  They are also mostly made in the Far East and transported here for sale.  Production involves the use of petrochemicals, PVA, metals and in some cases, lead.

Real trees on the other hand, use about 10 times fewer materials and take 5 times less energy to produce than fake trees.  Whilst they are growing, they provide a natural habitat for wildlife, they remove dust and pollen from the air, produce oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide.  

The greenest choice of all for a Christmas tree would be to buy a living one and re-use it each year, but I know that's not practical for everyone.

Of course, there's more to it than just choosing a real tree over an artificial tree.  To be as green as possible, these are my tips:

Source your tree responsibly:

Reputable tree farmers will re-plant more trees than they harvest each year. Purchase your tree from a reputable supplier who manages responsibly like the Forestry Commission.  They have sites across England and Scotland, and also a mail order service.  They grow their trees for between 5 and 10 years and all are managed to FSC standards.

Care for your tree:

You don't need fancy chemical sprays to keep a real tree looking good - as long as you've bought a healthy one in the first place.  Follow these simple tips to keep your tree looking great throughout the festive season:

  • stand it in a bucket of water and keep it in a cool place such as a garage or shed until ready to take indoors for decorating
  • before taking it indoors, cut off at least one inch (2.5 cm) from the bottom of the trunk and gently shake the tree to remove any loose needles
  • pot the tree with the trunk immersed in water. Most woodland centres sell special stands
  • do not use sand or soil in the tree stand as they restrict water from being drawn up the trunk
  • stand the tree in the coolest part of the room, ideally next to a window and away from radiators and fires and top it up with water daily
If you lose any needles, sweep them up with a dustpan and brush rather than the vacuum.

Eco decorations:

Rather than mass produced, plastic baubles and decorations, try the more natural approach - pine cones; cinnamon sticks and orange slices all look and smell fabulous.  Edible ornaments are recycled in the best possible way!  So try gingerbread cookies; popcorn garlands and candy canes.

Last year I used lots of upcycled household items on my tree and it looked fab - tiny white tea cups; old keys and odd dominoes, as well as fabric decorations made from felted old jumpers and hessian. Charity shops are also great for picking up old ornaments and reusing them.

Eco decorations for Christmas Trees

LED lights are cheaper and use less energy than traditional lights, and remember to switch them off when you're not in the room to enjoy them.

Disposing of your tree:

Once the season is over, make sure you recycle your tree.  Many councils have collections or you can take your tree to a recycling centre where it is chipped and used in municipal areas as mulch.  Some coastal areas also collect and use old Christmas trees as sea defence, so find out if there's a collection point near you.


The really hardcore eco-warriors among you might try the ultimate in recycling your Christmas tree - and eat it!  Yes, that's right.  I already mentioned making pine flavoured vinegar from the needles, I did that last year and it was delicious.  You can also use the needles much in the same way as Rosemary to flavour food, and there's loads of ideas on this blog post - "Can you eat your Christmas tree?"  How do you fancy pine butter, or vodka or pine sugar?

I'd love to know which side of the fence you are on this debate.  And would you eat your Christmas tree?!

Disclosure: I am an official blogger for the Forestry Commission and receive an annual pass for my local site.

27 comments:

  1. I'm all about the real tree! We always used to have one with roots, till our neighbour decided it was dead and cut it down...ahem. Love a real tree, they always make the house smell lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fake one because I've never really fancied a real one and until recently I hadn't really considered the environmental impact of the things I buy but now I hav, I won't be buying another fake one in future. Once this one's past it we'll be getting real trees I think x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cass. But now you've got one, the most eco thing you can do is to look after it and make it last as long as possible, and then maybe donate it to a charity shop once you no longer want it any more. x

      Delete
  3. im one of those lucky people who have an allergic reaction to the real trees in a confined space , yet another reason im Mrs Bah Humbug..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!!! Christmas must be a nightmare for you then? :0(

      Delete
  4. Our little fake tree is about 15 years old and still going strong. We've had a real one a couple of times, and I have to share how we got them:
    Scottish Natural Heritage run these volunteer days on a bog (Flanders Moss) once a month through the autumn. Each has a specific conservation task and a "tempt" to get people along. So for November they cut down gorse and willow and have a big fire to burn it, and everybody has jacket potatoes cooked on the embers. For December you go and clear the conifers which are sneaking on to the bog and sucking up all the water... and you get to choose one to take home with you for your Christmas tree! All well and good, but they look a lot smaller out in the open, then you get home and it only just fits in the house! We did this a couple of times pre-children, and it's great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds brilliant fun Mel! And yes, I know what you mean about size perspective, we've been caught out a few times!

      And wow, 15 years on your fake tree? That's good going x

      Delete
  5. I was really interested to read this as we have been debating getting a real one or using my landlord's fake one that is up in the loft! You have some great ideas and great advice so thankyou!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great debate. I prefer a fake tree or one dug from the garden. I don't really like cut flowers for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Over the years we have had some real and some fake. The fake one I had as a child lasted for decades. I do have a fake one now and I like it because of its symmetry which I realise is a very shallow reason to want one!!
    When my son was little he would visit Santa at our local garden centre and they gave tiny Christmas trees to the children. We have about half a dozen of them dotted about the garden - most of them thrived.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every year we say we will get a real tree, and every year we drag the artificial one out of the loft! Maybe we will go for it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A sensibly sourced real tree for us! Cant beat that smell- it makes me feel immediately Christmasy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a ..... fake tree!! I know, I justify it in that we have used it again and again and again... for eight years now, do miss the aroma of a real tree though x

    ReplyDelete
  11. We always have a real tree, my husband wouldn't have anything else, but it's quite odd for me as we had fake ones when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say, I am totally undecided as to what is better... hubby certainly prefers a real try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're probably right. We do have a fake tree which I had assumed would last longer - because I find it so expensive to buy a real tree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our children have previously been too young to think about this (imo) but it is a consideration this year - so thank you for the well thought out post. I think a real one would be better too for the Christmassy smell :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have a fake one. It's 10 years old this year, I think (or maybe 9) and it's still going strong. I like it because I can leave off some of the back branches and fit it into the only space we have available for it; and also because it's symmetrical. I like the idea of real trees but they're so expensive. We got this one for £60 so it's currently working out at about £6 a year, where as to get the same size in a real tree would probably cost £60-odd a year! I also like the convenience of being able to pack it up and put it back in the loft rather than take it to the tip then have to clean out the car.

    I do appreciate the environmental issues you've outlined here but not enough for me to make the switch. I hope I will still be using the same tree for the next 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting debate! I was only just talking about this with a friend this weekend! We are real trees all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have 2 fake ones and I'm happy with them, the smallest we bought in 1997 when we moved into our first home for £15 so it was a bargain! Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love real trees but they add to the expense that is already immense at this time of year. I used to have a real one every year when I lived in the mountains in Italy, one year I found pine needles stuck in the skirting board in August!
    They look much nicer but the work involved puts me off :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the smell of a real tree and have had them in the past but I have to admit that I do not love the pine needles that get everywhere, including in my car when we got rid of it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, this is an interesting one. I'd always wondered - and I'd assumed real ones would be more environmental without really thinking of the pros and cons of each. I've never had a fake one, much prefer a nice smelly one, even if it does shed needles everywhere. Think it brings back childhood memories of cutting them down from my Granny's garden. All that said, I am struggling to get my head around the idea of having a tree at all this year - just doesn't seem right when it's sunny outside!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love a real tree and this year we have got a beauty - it is 7ft and a fab shape. I love everything about it!

    We do also have a fake that has fibre optic lights and we make it even more tacky by decorating it with pink fluffy baubles and even more tinsel. We got it when the kids were babies due to concern over needle drop and them eating them and choking but to be honest we never seem to have a major issue with needles luckily.

    Great post! Love your eco decorations ideas.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have fakes inside and we've reused them for years. When we outgrew our smaller fake one (ok the kids nagged for a better one) our previous tree went on freecycle. The two i hang on the walls upstairs are rescued from a shop i used to work in - the window display team were going to bin them so i begged them not to and took them home.

    The front garden has a real tree, each year it has baubles and led lights on. Local kids love it. But i still hate the idea of chopping trees down so fakes will remain unless i buy a potted one and keep it outside in the pot, and not plant it this time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww we always have a real tree, and we get it from a local farm where we cut it down ourselves. You can see the trees for the next couple of years growing in the fields - can't get much more eco than that. We have lots of baubles passed down from my mum, but I always try and decorate our tree with things the kids have made. I love Christmas!

    ReplyDelete