Monday 20 January 2014

Peanut butter chocolate bark


Reese's inspired peanut butter chocolate bark

I'm a huge lover of Reese's Pieces but they are quite hard to come by over here in the UK (unless you're prepared to pay an arm and a leg for them) so this recipe is my DIY fix.

Chocolate bark is the in thing right now and it's so easy to make.  I had a funny conversation with my daughter who asked what I was making -

Me: "I'm making chocolate bark".

Her: "Why's it called 'bark' Mummy?"

Me: "I don't know."

Her: "Perhaps it's because it's brown like the bark on a tree."

Me: "Oh maybe."

Her: "Ooooor, because it's brown like our dog and she barks."

She cracks me up.  Anyway, on to the super simple recipe for this moreish delight.


Ingredients:


  • 300g dark chocolate broken into chunks
  • 200g smooth peanut butter
  • Handful of chocolate beans
First line choose a flat baking tray with edges (a swiss roll tin), line with greaseproof paper making crisp folds at the edges and corners.

Melt half the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water being careful not to get any water in contact with the chocolate.  When completely melted, pour into the tray and tip it so it runs to all four edges.

Leave to cool.

When the chocolate has gone hard, take the peanut butter and briefly heat it in the microwave to make it easier to spread (no more than 30 seconds should do it).  Spread over the chocolate, working quickly so the peanut butter doesn't start to melt the chocolate underneath it.


Pop it in the fridge to cool and harden for about an hour.

Melt your remaining chocolate same as before and pour over.  Depending on the finish you want, you might want to drag it with a palette knife, or tip it so you get a smooth finish.  You can pop any air bubbles with a cocktail stick.

Leave to cool for about 10 minutes, but before it's fully set sprinkle your rainbow coloured chocolate beans on to decorate.



Once set, pop it in the fridge to harden before breaking or cutting into shards. Tip: you can tidy up any messy edges with a knife warmed in hot water or over the gas ring briefly for a neater edge.

Peanut butter chocolate bark


Do I need to put a health warning in this?  Do I really?  OK, obviously it's not suitable for those with a peanut allergy.  Or indeed for those with no self-restraint.

Homemade Thursday

17 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm this looks scrummy and super easy. I like the super easy part lots. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE bark! I had a go at trying to use up all the leftover bits from Christmas! http://capturebylucy.com/blog/leftover-home-made-fruit-and-nut-bark But I seriously wanted to eat the whole lot in one go! Love your recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "leftover bits from christmas" *blank look, what's that?

      Haha will go have a look, thanks Lucy x

      Delete
  3. Mother of God that looks good. And I too have a Reeses fondness. Bark is fun to make and a great teacher gift. Though not this one if you have a *sigh* nut-free school....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that's the wedding diet out of the window ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate and peanut butter...the best combo g a woman ever invented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look awesome! I have to admit I am not a major fan of peanut butter but I may have to make an exception here ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I WOULD be the one who would need self-restraint, I even discussed this recipe with my 9yo on the way home from school yesterday, clearly I MUST make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like your bark is better than your bite. And your bite is gooooood.
    Easy tiger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOOF!

    I am ALL over this, like melty peanut butter.

    Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I pinned these yesterday without knowing they're yours ;) That must mean you're onto a sweet winner...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks totally scrummy, although not a lover of peanut butter I'm sure the chocolate will detract it ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gimme gimme gimme.. actually on second thoughts, maybe not, I am supposed to be scoffing less treats.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yummy, I will be adding this to my Comic Relief bake sale table

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg omg omg!!! I am SOOOO making this!! Thanks so much for sharing and linking up to Homemade Thursday x

    ReplyDelete