Wednesday 26 February 2014

Rainbow fruit skewers and St Patrick's Day Bento Lunchbox!

Rainbow Fruit Skewers Kebabs


Yes, I've been playing with my food again...

Obsessing about all things rainbow, I made some colourful fruit kebabs. They're great for encouraging kinds to try new fruits, and make a healthy dessert option - serve then up with a dipping pot of plain yoghurt or creme fraiche (or chocolate sauce if you're feeling naughty).

They are also great for kids parties.

Try out different fruits to represent different colours of the rainbow - see what's in season or on offer. I'd suggest steering clear of banana or apples because they discolour unless you are eating the kebabs straight away.

They got my daughter to try melon and pineapple which she's always declared she hated!

Anyway, the skewers gave me the inspiration for a special St Patrick's Day lunchbox for her too.  Using these cute shamrock food picks from Eats Amazing, I made mini fruit rainbows with small chunks of different fruits.

St Patrick's Day Bento Lunch Box

I added some pea and ham fritters, shaped with a shamrock cookie cutter and lots of green - slices of cucumber; cress; a Peperami; cheese in a green wrapper; a homemade cupcake with green sprinkles and a carton of apple juice.

Do you think it will give her the luck of the Irish? She's already got the gift of the gab!



16 comments:

  1. This is a great one! The fritters are a great idea for a lunch bocx love the skewers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. I do fritters quite a bit, makes a nice change from sandwiches! Usually on a Monday when I've had spare batter from the Sunday roast ;0)

      Delete
  2. So cute! I long to be a bento box queen like you! Have no patience though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I secretly enjoy doing it. It's my quiet time in the evening when OH is putting Ruby to bed!

      Delete
  3. How gorgeous is that bento box? When I am at the kids school at lunch time, I always have a quick look at the Japanese kids bento boxes - A-m-a-z-i-n-g!! Love the idea of one for Saint Patricks day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THESE! So simple, pretty AND healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You forgot the Guiness ;) Syd will only eat fruit if he has a colourful selection like that, and it does look pretty, but my purse wishes he would just have a banana sometimes..... I love Bento boxes, I look forward to using some of your ideas when he needs a packed lunch next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are brilliant! Definitely saving the idea for E's birthday party in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the little skewers and I really need to buy some as we only have really long bamboo skewers. It is amazing that children will happily eat anything off a skewer but try to give it to them with the stick - no chance! Whether it brings her luck or not it looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit to only ever putting cheese and pineapple on skewers for parties, but these fruit ones look amazing and so colourful too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh yum, not done like fritters such they were much smaller. I think my kids ate more adventurously when they were toddlers, whoops! Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely idea, I really want to try doing Bento boxes, it is so clever and the kids must love it. The rainbow kebabs are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I love Bento boxes. I really need to sort my self out and spice up my school lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AMAZING!!! Love love love the fritters - never would have thought of that! Thanks so much for linking up to #BentoBabies xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful lunchbox! I've not made a fruit skewer for The Boy yet, mainly because I'm not sure about the actual skewer bit, but I suppose I could use a lollipop stick instead? Love the idea of some dipping sauce and will definitely try that. Thanks :-)

    Popping over from the #Bentobabies linky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous lunch, I love the rainbow fruit skewers! The fritters idea is genius too - might have to try those myself!

    ReplyDelete