It's easy to forget that not everyone is this fortunate. Today, in 2017, the use of food banks in the UK is still on the rise. Food insecurity is a massive issue in the UK.
- More than 8 million Brits live in households that struggle to put food on the table
- 4.7 million regularly go a day without eating
- 3 million people in the UK are malnourished
- Food poverty in the UK is rising at alarming rates
- The lowest income households in the UK only have on average of £3.00 per day to spend on food
- Studies show a lack of flavor in diets reduces energy levels and creates negative thoughts.
These statistics, while shocking, are not so hard to understand when you think that most of us are only a pay check away from finding ourselves in this situation. Family circumstances can change in a heart beat, and it's frighteningly easy for people to find themselves calling on a food bank for a crisis parcel. It could be a redundancy, sudden ill health, a relationship breakdown, a mix up with benefits or debt problems...
Knorr have started a campaign which is running until midnight on 27th March 2017, where you can help in such an easy way, why wouldn't you do it? Simply share a photo on Instagram, a black and white photo of your meal using the hashtag #FlavourForAll and Knorr will donate the value of a meal to the Trussell Trust to help someone who is suffering food insecurity.
If you need more persuasion, please do take a look at some of their videos which show just what a difference the Trussell Trust make. Not just giving emergency food parcels, but offering a friendly face, a cup of tea and a chat, a non-judgemental ear to listen and practical advice and signposting to deal with the root causes.
Why don't you share your meal today and help give a nourishing meal to someone who needs it?